Address: 201 1st St South, Charlottesville, VA 22902
Latitude/Longitude: 38.030037, -78.481900
Start Date: Sep 2, 2013
End Date: Sep 2, 2013
Web site: click here
Every Labor Day many of the farmers in the Charlottesville area open their farms to the public so that people can learn where there food comes from. In the four years that this touring event has taken place more than 3,500 people have visited over 35 farms. The tour is held rain or shine – just like the farmers who work in their fields or barns rain or shine.
So what are you doing on Monday September 2, 2013? Load up your car with family and friends and take a drive to several local small farms. There are 19 farms participating this year.
Some of our favorites are –
- Free Union Grass Farm – specializing in pastured chickens and ducks, 100% grass fed beef and free range eggs (love their duck breasts, duck fat and eggs)
- Caromont Farm – artisanal goat’s and cow’s milk cheeses (Crotin d’Albemarle and any of the seasonal farm cheeses are favorites)
- Bellair Farm – known for their love of produce with over 50 types of different types of vegetables, fruit and flowers
- The Rock Barn – their “snout-to-tail” promise brings us great pork, nothing wasted
- Sharondale Farm – mushrooms, mushrooms and more mushrooms!
- Woodson’s Mills – produces all-natural flours and meals – and the best stone ground grits!
All of these farmers plus the other 14 that aren’t mentioned here are part of Charlottesville Market Central. The City Market is where they sell their wares on Saturday morning from 7:00 to 12:00. This tour gives you the opportunity to visit the farms where their offerings are produced.
Many of the farms will have special programs to help you learn about what they do. Everything from milking cows, tasting cheese, feeding pigs and hens, cultivating mushrooms, to butchering hogs. All this for only $15 per car (or $25 on tour day). So order you ticket now and head out to the farms on Labor Day.
Many of the farmers are conducting special programs to teach about what they do.
Review this Happening!